it's all under the surface

journal entries & current projects

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

It's practically impossible to blog lately. There are two things that I'm having issues with:

1. no time - this one is my bad, I'm taking work too seriously & my new role has me reflexively working both day & night.

2. malaise - this one is about the state of the world. I won't dwell, but the US administration has me pretty bummed. Beyond that, I'm thinking about friends in times of turmoil and generally feeling a bit tired of all the 'Man's inhumanities to man' theme in world news events. I'm soaking in it, but that doesn't mean it's what I want to write about.

two small tales:
Valentine's day out: J & I went out spraypainting/tagging for our valentines date (delayed a bit from the 14th :>). I could tell you that it was all legal & that we minded our p's & q's property rights-wise, or not. It was exhilarating & reminded me of why I am with this guy.

Tapes: Finally, all of my tapes are synched with J's - I sorted them last night (to get out of a different chore). I have craploads of astrology tapes & a surprising amount of tapes from road trips, friends bands (and me in a band) my time in Scotland & at Talkspot, along with a bunch of ambient noise tapes J has. It was a blast to listen to old mixtapes & see the music trends that brought me to where I am now.

Odd duck tapes:
Sound track from Zoot Suit - I dated a guy from Mexico for a while in San Fran & we always went out salsa dancing. I suppose I did ok for a gringa. He loved this odd mix of cholo music & 40's swing

Passion Plus - the Peter Gabriel music that came out of his work on the Last Temptation of Christ was huge when I was in Cornish - we listened to everything that came out on the real world label. It's good stuff, but odd to see after all these years

Israeli pop - this was from Rachel, a woman I hung out with in DC in the 80's. She was heading to Israel to do an army tour for someone in school in the US & loaned me this to tape.

Pam Dougherty - My roomie from San Fran let me copy to tape. Pam Dougherty is a Seattle artist who has a beautiful voice & feminist bent. Her retelling of Dorothy & the Wizard of Oz predates Wicked, with a similar tone - fun stuff, but ardent!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home