it's all under the surface

journal entries & current projects

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow...

While visiting with our landlord today, I heard a useful phrase. I asked her what she was up to today & she said that the problem with retirement is that you can have a great plan for yourself & then you suddenly realize -- I can do this tomorrow.

The last week has been sort of a bumbling time. I've spent serious time clearing out my art studio storage, only to feel overwhelmed by the amount of work it'll take to get through the resources that I've put aside for that purpose. Half-started work or finished work that's not been framed are stored in about 5 or 6 places.

Before I dived into the studio, I spent a few days sick - after quitting cigarettes for good. Before that, I took a day at the spa with a friend, getting the last year scrubbed off me and soaking in hot water/steam for hours. Today, I'm heading down to get a treatment for weak lungs. Still feeling my lungs work is great, now I just have to pull together something to help them out while recovering.

I can see the work ahead, but am taking stuttering steps - vs. The strides I'm accustomed to - it's a bit frustrating to see time fleeing while I try to prioritize the distractions that swarm around me. I've definitely enjoyed the time without pressures, but am getting a bit impatient nonetheless.

Last week, I found an old Neruda poem, a line in it has been haunting me:
Since without leaving the present
That is a fragile thing
We touch the sand of yesterday
And in the sea
Love reveals a repeated fury


J & I spent time with the fabulous Nalbandians last night - funny & fast talking, they were a treat to be with. Ralph cracks me up - he gave the fireworks two thumbs down & asked if it was worth it for me to take photos of the crappy fireworks. He's an AP photographer & I wish I had his mad skills & so I answered "No" & kept shooting.

In leiu of a photo album from me on this, I'll leave y'all with a link to fancy sparkler doins I saw on blogdex (via Flickr):

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home