it's all under the surface

journal entries & current projects

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Simple & dumb

I got a new laptop today. Set up just fine, then a shrieking noise filled the room. I've called helpdesk & they are going to send out a replacement part before taking it back. I've not heard of an instance of anyone I know getting a computer & having it work flawlessly. Sigh.

These have been hectic days. I've no way of telling everyone at work that I'm leaving & the e-mails are starting. Without a handy dose of short-timer's syndrome, I'm stuck working when it's my last chance to check in with folks I have really enjoyed working with. Small problem, but it's weighing on my mind.

I feel better about the work I've done; most folks I'm leaving in my shoes will have what they need to press on & it's been entertaining to develop strategies to keep them going in my absence. I've enjoyed it, even though it does make me sad to see this part of my life reach it's conclusion.

That doesn't mean I'm dismayed about making this change. I'm thrilled to feel ready, exhilirated, etc. It's a lot to take on, so it's daunting, but I'm not being flip or flighty about it, so there. I mean, so that's good.

I've been isolating myself of late. Not taking calls and not doing much at night. I ran through the local blockbusters & came up with nothing to bring home, but have the last few dvds of Futurama to watch, the ones that David left here -- for Joanna to come get. Joanna, who lives in Maryland. Should come out here, for a visit.

So much to put together for the summer. Scuba diving? I'll need to get certified & get over claustrophobia. Astrology? I'll need to dig in to studies & pick an elective to take at the local Astrological college. Art? Don't even get me started.

I'll wrap up now. It's 10pm already & I've got to see if there's anything left of the evening.

Laptops, sheesh!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home