it's all under the surface

journal entries & current projects

Sunday, May 09, 2004

I got my first car when I was 28 years old, a '68 Volkswagen bug. It was baby blue, where it wasn't rusted & I bought it for $400 from the guy I worked with at the Cornish photo lab. The car didn't last long - it needed to be babied & I wasn't any good at that. I dropped it off at El Centro de la Raza - they have a donation program for folks who want to donate their cars. I've had three other cars, all purchased used and none long lasting.

Yesterday was a day of car shopping. Jack won the title of 'most fun sales person'. He won that by recounting his father's military history in the Vietnam war, his recent break up with Emily (she nagged him overly much) and by sharing his love for a good, local sushi cafe. We went to two other dealerships, got to test drive three cars and had thai food at the Royal Palm for lunch. We're done for the weekend, with this car buying project. We didn't get a car last night, but we're getting closer & have another night scheduled to do this, later in the week.

It was beautiful yesterday. It was sunny, then there was rain with the sun, then hail, then more sun. We drove across the University bridge into downtown Seattle and Lake Union was luminous before tree lined, house-filled streets stacked like San Francisco's hills, but greener. The sky was dotted with clouds & a clear blue. We drove all over, up to Richmond Beach and then to Lake City Way and finally, downtown.

Today, I've finished cleaning up from Friday's company & am now getting ready to work. It's still gorgeous outside & I hope to get out there later - but honestly, I'm still wiped from walking out of the dealership when the sales person couldn't meet our price. I don't care if I go outside or see one more person today. I'm feeling very quiet.

Oh, except I did call my mom today. Wished her a good day & asked after her goings on. It was a lovely call, as was the call to Jason's mother. I missed my sister by phone, she was out marching in downtown DC. I'll have to catch up with her later this week.

Ok, best get going...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home