it's all under the surface

journal entries & current projects

Saturday, September 17, 2005

"You just don't know how to have fun..."

Tonight, J & I went out to see a musician in the trendiest section of town. Fortunately for us, it was not the trendiest venue -- we didn't have to fight off dissasociated hordes, nor did we have to play it cool. We went to a local importer's shop & saw a sufi performer (I hear) that played and played for us tonight. The best was that I so needed to dance.

Even though it's technically one day after a 3-month sabbatical, I'm raring to start my new work. That work is not what I have done for the last three months & also deviates from the norm in significant ways, meaning I don't have a boss telling me what to do.

Now is probably the time to say that my last boss was terrific, he trusted me to do the right thing and pushed me over my own limitations more times than I can count. I can't thank him enough & I can't help but notice an eerie resemblance to my current sitch. Being that I can't count on someone coming out of the woodwork & saying "Hey, here's an opportunity. Why don't you go and get that one??".

So, thing is, I've been raring to go and my first art show is in November -- my first job interview (part-time, presumably non-profit) is a week from Tuesday -- so tension has been building up. It very much got released tonight, when hand touched drum and foot touched ground. I could've turned all night to the funky beat that was being laid down & I wouldn't have been alone.

We were invited by pals in J's band. They suggested that we join the musician that made such an impact on Mike during the Bumbershoot festival. By the way, I have a theory that "Mike" is the most common sufi name. I am so confident of this trivial fact that I've recommended, more than once, that J take "Mike" as his official, sufi name.

We arrived, after a dinner of homemade albondigas. Immediately, it's obvious to me that we can turn at this event & so, there's no hesitation. J is more circumspect & takes up an instrument instead -- eventually helping out E (5 yr old) with his drawings of eyes. I'm ready to stop, but this musician is not & encourages me along with the other sufi folks in the crowd. We turn together & apart -- and for a long time (2 hrs?) before the music has exhausted itself & it's time to go.

We finish up the night at Sophia's. We've brought treats, but Sophia is the bomb & makes pasta with marinated tomatoes. E doesn't like those (5 yr old, remember?) and so chit chats instead, about his nascent desire to become a ninja, favorite movies (Porco Rosso, Return of the cat & what sounded like "Pompoko") and where he lived when he was three. Good times all around, and J & I go home. He's snoozing now, but I'm up, having misjudged my energy levels & taken a nap earlier.

The punchline? I said to J that I hadn't expected the evening to be so boring. MB suggested that I just don't know how to have fun...

This weekend looks chock full & I'm cool with that. Friends, house-hunting and more await us & so I leave you all...

Good weekend -- take care

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home