it's all under the surface

journal entries & current projects

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Arty art art

Had a great conversation with my husband's brother & sister in-law (there's got to be a better way to signify relations) last night. She's fresh from a trip to Peru & so my vicarious lust for travel was fulfilled by her stories & recollections. During the call, I was able to tell him how much I enjoyed his story of his recent attendance at a Charlotte Bobcats game. Jeez, he can write! We caught up about all the goings on in the family. Good times.

This last few weeks have been inspiring, though at times tough. I got to visit with Eero and relive some of our college years, not to mention getting glimpses of the work we do now. Last weekend, I was invited to Yvonne's wedding shower tea, which was lovely & warm. Various projects have been revisited & rekindled, which is a good thing. J & I have taken turns cooking like fiends to keep our house stocked with good eats during the week. Working together with him on the weekends has been a real highlight. I feel like I have a chance to acclimate and hope to use this time to generate some new work, even in seed form.

I'm very hungry to do more work. During the phone call last night, I went through the sort of elaborate process I enjoyed while most artistically productive. There was a point where I began working in sketchbooks, translated those to wood blocks, photos, photocopies, prints and paintings. I'm still stalling over even one piece of that -- I'm beginning to think the content of the work may start out more personal and/or ragged than what I've been working on for the last few years. The other pieces I want to get back to are big & that's just not happening now.

Over time, I've become less candid. Some folks, who hear me talk about things that confuse me may not feel that way, but in comparison to where I started from it is true. If I have to do unskilled and emotionally ragged stuff, it's not likely that I'll share it. Not so much from a place of insecurity, way moreso for the purposes of honoring my own ongoing, developing privacy.

Really seems like it's time to get a move on.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home