it's all under the surface

journal entries & current projects

Sunday, April 23, 2006

I should really just check the weather before I post

Beautiful sun is what we're having in Shoreline this weekend. Which is good, because we're pounding to get all of the mulch into the garden by the end of the day. This was the recommendation we got for managing our over 400 sq. foot veggie garden - cover most of it, while enriching the soil & killing all of the weeds at the same time.

The difference between the garden as we saw it in Oct. & yesterday's first swipe is pretty amazing:

before after

We still have a bit more cardboard to collect & of course the whole wheelbarrows full of mulch thing is going to kick our butts today, but it feels really good to take care of the yard. Not to mention that we're already enjoying the food from the garden.

I've always really (& really secretly) admired horticulturalists (my Grandfather was the guy who took care of the cherry trees along the tidal basin in Washington, DC and my friend Richie has worked with plants the entire time I've known him) so getting to do my own landscaping and gardening is a real treat.

Well, I guess I better get the last of the morning coffee drunk & get out there.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home